Can You Change the Background Color on Google Docs?
Are you tired of staring at the same white background on your Google Docs documents? Do you want to add a pop of color to make your documents more visually interesting? You’re not alone. Many users have wondered if they can change the background color on Google Docs. In this article, we will explore the answer to this question and provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to customize the background color on your Google Docs.
Understanding Google Docs
Before we dive into the specifics of changing the background color on Google Docs, let’s first understand what Google Docs is. It is a free, online word processing software from Google. It allows users to create, edit, and collaborate on documents in real-time. It is a popular choice for students, professionals, and businesses alike due to its user-friendly interface and accessibility.
How to Change the Background Color on Google Docs
Unfortunately, the answer to our question is no, you cannot change the background color on Google Docs. Unlike other word processing software, Google Docs does not have a built-in option to change the background color of a document. However, there are some workarounds that you can try to achieve a similar result.
Method 1: Use a Colored Image as the Background
To add some color to your Google Docs document, you can insert a colored image as the background. Follow these steps to do so:
- Open your Google Docs document.
- Go to the “Insert” tab in the menu bar and select “Drawing.”
- In the Drawing window, click on the “Image” icon and select the image you want to use as the background.
- Resize the image to fit the document by clicking and dragging on the corners.
- Click on the image and select “Actions” in the menu bar. Then, select “Order” and choose “Send to Back”.
- Lastly, click on the image and choose “Wrap Text” and select “Behind text.”
This method may not provide an exact color background, but it can add some visual interest to your document.
Method 2: Use Table Cells to Add Color
Another way to add color to your document is by creating a table and filling the cells with different colors. Follow these steps to do so:
- Open your Google Docs document.
- In the menu bar, click on “Insert” and select “Table.”
- Choose the number of rows and columns you want in your table.
- Click on the table and go to “Table Properties” in the menu bar.
- In the “Table Properties” window, go to the “Table Border” tab and select “Custom.” Change the color to the color you want for your background.
- Next, click on each cell and choose a different color for each one.
- Adjust the size and placement of the table to fit your document.
This method can be a bit time-consuming but can provide a more precise color background for your document.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can I change the background color on Google Docs using a third-party extension?
There are some third-party extensions available that claim to allow users to change the background color on Google Docs. However, we do not recommend using them as they can compromise the security and privacy of your document.
2. Why doesn’t Google Docs have an option to change the background color?
Google Docs is a collaborative platform, and having different background colors for different users can make it challenging to work together on a document. Therefore, Google has not included this feature.
3. Can I change the background color on Google Docs on the mobile app?
No, currently, you cannot change the background color on Google Docs on the mobile app.