What Is Google Play Edition Phone? A Comprehensive Guide
Google Play Edition phone is a term that has been gaining popularity in recent years, and people often wonder what it actually means. If you have come across this term and are curious to know more, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will dive deep into the concept of Google Play Edition phones and explore everything you need to know about them.
Google Play Edition phone is a term that refers to a specific type of smartphone that runs the Android operating system. These phones are sold directly by Google and are different from the regular Android phones that are sold by other manufacturers such as Samsung, LG, or HTC. Google Play Edition phones are also known as “pure Android phones” or “stock Android phones.”
So, what sets Google Play Edition phones apart from regular Android phones? The main difference lies in the software and user interface. While regular Android phones come with customized versions of Android, Google Play Edition phones run on a clean and unmodified version of Android. This means that you get a pure, bloatware-free Android experience without any manufacturer-specific add-ons.
Google Play Edition phones also receive timely updates directly from Google, just like its flagship Pixel phones. This makes them a great choice for those who want the latest Android updates without having to wait for their device manufacturer to release them. These phones also have a longer software support life, which means you can use them for a longer time without worrying about outdated software.
Another key difference between regular Android phones and Google Play Edition phones is the lack of manufacturer-specific apps and services. Regular Android phones come pre-installed with apps and services that are specific to their manufacturer. This includes apps such as Samsung Pay, LG Health, or HTC BlinkFeed. However, Google Play Edition phones do not come with these apps, making them a better choice for those who prefer a more stock Android experience.
Now that we have a basic understanding of what Google Play Edition phones are, let’s take a look at some of the popular models that fall under this category.
1. Google Nexus 5: This was the first Google Play Edition phone that was released in 2013. It was based on the LG G2 and featured top-of-the-line specs such as a 5-inch Full HD display, a Snapdragon 800 processor, and 2GB of RAM.
2. Samsung Galaxy S4: Samsung Galaxy S4 was the first Google Play Edition phone from Samsung and packed similar specs as the regular S4. However, it offered a clean Android experience without Samsung’s TouchWiz UI.
3. HTC One M8: HTC One M8 was released in 2014 and was the first Google Play Edition phone from HTC. It was based on the regular HTC One M8, but it featured a stock Android experience.
4. Moto G: After the success of its Nexus phones, Google expanded its Play Edition lineup with the affordable Moto G. It was based on the popular Motorola Moto G and offered a clean Android experience at a budget-friendly price.
5. Sony Xperia Z Ultra: Sony Xperia Z Ultra was the first Google Play Edition phone from Sony and featured a massive 6.4-inch display and a Snapdragon 800 processor.
Apart from these popular models, there were also other Google Play Edition phones such as LG G Pad 8.3, HTC One M7, and Sony Xperia Z that were released in smaller markets.
Now that we know about the history and different models of Google Play Edition phones let’s take a look at the advantages of owning one.
One of the biggest advantages of Google Play Edition phones is the clean and unmodified version of Android. This means you get a faster, smoother, and more stable Android experience without any bloatware slowing you down. You also get timely Android updates and longer software support, making your phone future-proof.
Google Play Edition phones are also a great choice for those who prefer a more stock Android experience. The lack of manufacturer-specific apps and services means you get a clutter-free user interface that is closer to what you would find on Google Pixel devices.
Google Play Edition phones also make it easier to switch between different carriers since they come unlocked and don’t come with any carrier-specific apps or bloatware.
In conclusion, Google Play Edition phones offer a unique experience that is different from regular Android phones. These phones are perfect for those who want a clean, bloatware-free Android experience with timely updates and longer software support. With more and more people looking for a pure Android experience, Google Play Edition phones continue to be a popular choice in the market.